Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Force is strong in this one - Matola Rio, Mozambique.



Motion, being in motion. An object in motion will stay in motion - unless there is a force strong enough to stop it. Matola Rio? The force is strong in this one.
In fact, aside from Download Festival, which unfortunately does not offer permanent residency, I'm not sure I've ever felt more compelled to stop 'being in motion.'



From the moment I arrived I was made to feel like part of the family. Before I was even out of the car I was taken by the hand and brought to join the action. Introductions, games and several new abstract hairstyles later, I joined them for dinner. Kids grow up fast here, and they had nailed the meal time procedure. Within moments plastic chairs and tables filled the yard and the singing commenced, as they sat down to eat together. 



From the very beginning I was amazed and inspired by these kids. In the evening worship they prayed into their own situation, asking God to protect and heal them from the many diseases in the room. If there's one thing I will take away from this week, it's that if God healed the lepers, he can cure HIV. 
So much happened in this one week that I feel like I was there for at least three. Culture shock was not an issue, I love their relaxed approach to life. As in many countries, the roads have a culture all of their own. They hold no boundaries, quite literally, 'sidewalks' are any man's land. Where to ride? There's no limitations, front seat, back seat, boot, grandma's lap, take your pick. And why choose one? As our mini bus pulled up to the toll booth, Natasha joked that Joao was a terrible passenger driver, so he simply slid open the door and swung around the outside and into the seats behind us, reclining with a smile across his face. Not an eyelid batted nor eyebrow raised.


I was asked to teach an English lesson to the older boys, and so we met in the church hall after dinner one night. Lacking in everything but benches and paper, this is certainly thousands of miles from the privileges of Pangbourne College. And yet, we had just as much fun playing games and hanging out together.


I have discovered it to be universally true, that C + T(X) = S. By which I mean, hand a gathering of teenagers your camera and it will inevitably result in selfies. Many, many selfies. 
Little ones. They're a whole different species. But as you may recall from my experiences in 'Nam, they're not as intimidating as one first expects. Although, football makes for a challenging ordeal, apparently taking the ball from one triggers their inbuilt facial sprinkler system... Avoid this at all costs, the off switch is as clear as Swedish flat pack.
That said, I love them all. They're amazing kids who find fun in everything from an old tin can to a ripped trampoline.




It's been interesting trying to build relationships on minimal mutual language. Practical things, like card games and football go a long way. I'm yet to mention Corrie and Helenia, I could probably write an entire book of appreciation and admiration for these two, but I'll spare you the brain space and instead direct you to the website I've been working on, if you're interested in their story.
I have a feeling this won't be my only visit to Matola Rio, but as a wise Jedi master once said 'Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future...'

No comments:

Post a Comment