Thursday, October 10, 2013

It was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

A quick update from 'Nam :) After nearly three weeks in the trenches ('Friendly Backpacker's Hostel') I have just this very morning moved into my own house. 'Is this the house in the pictures below?' I hear you ask, why yes, yes it is. Feast your eyes for visual nourishment upon these delightful scenes...
 
 
 

 
 


The roof is my favourite :) My room is your generic, white room with nice big wardrobe and en-suite. So excited to finally be saying GOODBYE SUITCASE!! Living at the hostel was fun and I met some pretty cool people, but as most people just stay one or two nights it was pretty difficult to feel as though I was really settling in. There are two other rooms in the house, one is currently taken by a man from Denmark whom I am yet to meet, all I have seen so far are his ridiculously huge shoes. With an average height of 150 cm over here this guy must feel like a giant amongst men! Wonder how he'd take to being called Hagrid? Aaaanyway, he moves out on the 1st and then I just await the arrival of 'mystery guests'. - last two words to be read in the voice of an enthusiastic 90's game show host, ideally Roy Walker.

My landlady is awesome. Grandma and Granddad living right next door. Their grandson often bridges the waves of translation, but when he's not around, me and Granny amuse our selves with miming, pointing and laughter.

So far between work and sorting living arrangements I haven't had a great deal of time for exploring. I went to Tam Coc last week, took a boat ride down the river before cycling through the village. Also, visited the ancient capital of Hanoi on route.

Teaching is fun, not sure how much longer I'll enjoy it for though. Nursery children are terrifying. Although, my favourite class is made up of 7 horrendously behaved 4 year old boys and 1 cryer. The wuss can't even handle losing a game of musical bumps! Don't worry though, I'll toughen him up in no time. I tend to amuse myself by winding them up and watching them go whilst the teaching assistants run round in despair. It took us a whole 2 hours to learn the colour 'brown', and I can honestly say that has no negative reflection on my teaching skills!

I guess the thing that stands out the most in city life here is the roads. 95% of people have motor bikes and from what I can gather very few of them have licences. As I am clearly to cool to engage in this cultural phenomenon I myself have invested in a good old fashioned bicycle, pictured below. Just kidding. About the picture I mean, the bicycle bit is true. It might not have gears and the seat may well be made of solid rock, but my gosh does it have one fashionable basket! ;) 

 
 

So yeah, bikes are a pretty central part of life here and you pretty much see everything from wardrobes and trees to families of five on the back of them. 
 
 
Not forgetting the goldfish!


No comments:

Post a Comment